The State Register of Cultural Properties describes our historic casa as an “excellently preserved example of New Mexico Territorial Architecture.”
Circa 1850 the Perea family, prominent landowners and vintners, began building their home with adobe bricks and terrones, sod blocks cut from the banks of the nearby Rio Grande. Over its long history, Casa Perea has been a family home as well as a wedding venue, a space for art exhibits, and a reception hall for the nearby San Ysidro Church. For many years it was a popular spot for dances, and is one of New Mexico’s four remaining dance halls. Following statehood in 1912, the Casa served for a time as the Sandoval County Courthouse.
We have furnished the Casa with authentic, museum-quality Spanish Colonial furnishings and decorative art from all regions of Latin America. We plan to host changing exhibits and professional presentations related to our collection. Stay tuned!