The State Register of Cultural Properties describes this 170-year old historic casa as an “excellently preserved example of New Mexico Territorial Architecture.”
Circa 1850 the Perea family, prominent landowners and vintners, began building their home with adobe bricks and terrones, sod blocks cut from the banks of the nearby Rio Grande. Over its long history, the Casa has served as a family home, a wedding venue, a space for art exhibits, and a reception hall for the nearby San Ysidro Church and Corraleños. Our 62 x 14 ft Grand Sala was long a popular spot for dances, and is one of New Mexico’s only four remaining dance halls. Following New Mexico’s statehood in 1912, the Casa served for a time as the Sandoval County Courthouse.